I was surfing the other day and saw this article about a water balloon fight setting a Guiness World Record. It made me curious and I went and had a look at the video. What a hoot! I'd have joined in! What about you?
As I watched the fun, I got to thinking about other records. Not the normal ones, like the fastest man in the world (said to be Usain Bolt) or the oldest person on the planet (Besse Cooper at 116), but those odd-ball attempts at a world record, some, just to say you did. So I went on a research quest and today's Lighter Side is a look at some of them. Enjoy!!!
1) A bee keeper in China, She Ping, broke a world record by covering his body with 33.1 kilograms of bees (about 331,000 insects).
I say... CREEPY!!! I can almost feel the little critters crawling on me, and all I want to do is run around screaming!!!
2) Etibar Elchiyev poses with 50 metal spoons magnetized to his body during an attempt to break the Guinness World Record for "Most spoons on a human body".
I say... Seriously? Someone came up with this as a world record? Body Spooning? What about Magnetic Forking? Or Knife Sticking?
3) Seventy-four scuba divers dance to set the world record for an underwater dance class at Sydney's Olympic Park Aquatic Centre October 27, 2006.
I say... Weird yes, but at least this one is fun. Like the water balloon fight, I could get into doing something like this!
4) Guinness World Record holder for the 'Most Pierced Man', Rolf Bucholz of Germany, poses showing some of his 453 piercings.
I say... AUTSCH!!!! Which is German for OUCH!!!! Why you'd do this to yourself is beyond me. I don't mind piercings or tattoos, but this, IMHO, is way too much!!! But it's his body, so...
5) And finally, one last really weird one... June, 2011: Brian Spotts of the USA reclaimed two Guinness world records in egg balancing. The Dacono man stood 900 eggs on end at a Hong Kong mall; he's also balanced a dozen eggs in one minute and 32 seconds.
I say... And his mother said he wouldn't amount to anything when he grew up. I'm sure he can use this skill in the real world. How about you? LOL
But then again, I work with people every day at Cirque du Soleil who jump on beds for a living! So I guess anything can pay the bills!