Tuesday, September 11, 2007

In Memory of the Towers

GOD BLESS US...EVERYONE

The image “http://www.lowermanhattan.info/images/news/73w_memorialopener_exlg.gif” cannot be displayed, because it contains errors.Today is a day where many Americans sit back and take stock of their lives. I can still remember staring at the TV, watching those towers crumble. It felt so surreal, so far away. Then we got word of a friend who'd been killed when they fell.

Suddenly, it wasn't so far away anymore. Then, a couple years later, when we came back to Florida, Jessica started dating a fireman who happened to be one of the young men who risked his life to save others in the inferno. He not only lost friends in the tragedy, but because of his bravery, he contracted a rare form of cancer from the toxic fumes, and so now he's lost his livelihood...his career...what he always wanted to do.

There are so many stories about 9/11. The deaths on that day, and the unsung heroes like Justin who really gave up his own life to help others. We need to remember that...never forget what happened.

I urge everyone today to take stock of what you have. I remember looking across the room where Jonathon sat holding our youngest, horror and fury etched on his face. He used to fight forest fires and he knew some of what those people were going through. All I could think was... thank God, he's safe.

No matter how angry I get at him sometimes, that memory will pop into my mind and take the wind out of my sails. He is my life and I can't imagine waking up without him beside me. My heart goes out to those who found themselves having to do exactly that because of a coward whose way to fight was to kill the innocent.

September 11 is a day to remember...to reflect...to pray. But most of all, it's a day to be thankful for what you have, because no one knows what tomorrow's sunrise, may bring!

Blessings,

CJ

1 comment:

glenna said...

I think Sept. 11th was a day that caused all of us to be thankful for what we have. That day forever changed the way we live our lives and look at our country.