Monday, January 24, 2011

When Is News Really News?

Hey all,

Today's blog is sort of a rant, but not really.  Just something I shook my head over and thought I'd share about.

Having lived overseas now, I find I get impatient with some of the things that are "BIG NEWS" items back home.  Here, the news is still censored in a lot of ways, and while I DON'T agree with that, glancing through Yahoo at what the newsies consider VERY HOT and EXTREMELY IMPORTANT, I just have to shake my head.

I mean just today I was told that I HAD to know how much Justin Bieber spends on his signature bowl type haircuts (seriously?), was supposed to care whether Obama colors his hair and get excited over some obscure tic-tac-toe facts.

Now, I use to work in journalism, and I know all about the different types of news stories.  The hard news vs the fluff pieces.  But is it just me or does it seem like there is a hell of a lot more fluff then there is really important news?

And yes, before everyone gets cranky, I know different people like different things, which is why we have fluff as well as hard stuff.  But in a world where economically we are at a crossroads, deal with terrorism in every state and country and environmentally, we wonder if we'll have a world to worry about, do I really care about a sixteen year old boy's hair style?

Is it just because I'm an old broad?  Am I missing Walter Cronkite and the real news of the past?  Maybe it's just that the internet has opened things up so much we have so many more fluffier choices, we are inundated with them.

But whatever the case, sometimes it's hard to filter through all the cute kitty stories, viral videos and the red carpet fashions to find the really important stuff.  The stories that can and will affect and often change our lives.

What do you think?  What stories have made the most impact on you?  What was your favorite fluff story that you've seen, and what do you think is the most important hard news story of the year so far?  Let me know in the comments below!

Hugs and see you on Wednesday,

CJ England









Follow Your Dreams
http://cjengland.com/secondchances/lifesadance.htm

http://cjengland.com
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CJsaysFollowYourDreams/

16 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm with you on this one. I don't care how much it costs to have a hair cut like some teeny bopper.
I want to know the stuff that will affect ME, my family and friends.

CJ England said...

Exactly. While some fluff is interesting. But hair cuts? That is just sad.

Johnny Miles said...

I'm totally with you, CJ! I want NEWS. And I'm not talking the divisive crap that Fox calls news. Non-judgmental, show me both sides of the story, hard-hitting stuff. I don't want to see how many murders took place or anything else that's going to instill fear. And I sure as hell don't give a crap whether Obama colors his hair or not. Hell, it's to be expected considering the job he's got!

CJ England said...

I agree Johnny. Whatever happened to news that gave you the facts? Not a newscaster's opinion. I want to know what happened...not what the anchor thinks happened.

And I agree. Obama can do his hair or not, it ISN'T news.

kris said...

Ah, the advent of the 24 hour news cycle which makes everything BREAKING NEWS because the networks must keep the ratings up. And then the internet which is trying get its own types of ratings. And therefore we see more about what I consider junk (haircut, hairstyles etc) as news, while the real news - citizen B rescues neighbor when ice on river breaks, Congress approves Education budget and how it will affect your school district - seems to be marginalized. Don't get me wrong, I love watching the awards shows to see the actresses in the lovely gowns, but it is like candy - a little bit goes a long way.

Anonymous said...

Like I tell everyone in the house, I only want to know if the cruise missile is close to the house. Otherwise, leave me alone and let me write. P.S. You're old enough to get yourself to the e.r.
Joy Held
Writer Wellness, A Writer's Path to Health and Creativity

CJ England said...

Kris,

I have to admit I do watch some of the fluff. But the REAL news should always come first.

And I don't want to have to sift through the other stuff to find it!!!!

CJ England said...

LOL Joy!

Drive yourself to the ER. LOLOL

Kelley Heckart said...

I am really sick of seeing anything to do with the Kardashians or Snookie or any other reality stars. It's not news. Why are they famous anyway?
Snookie--for falling down drunk and getting into fights? I did that many times as a twenty-something and no one cared to film me.

Get a life people, and stop making these morons famous.

Okay, I feel better now. :)

Terri said...

CJ- New to "Blogger" but not blogging!

I enjoyed your blog immensely! I remember as a kid that you had three networks to get your news- CBS, NBC, or ABC. You got in the morning and in the evening and if you missed it, you had to wait until the next morning's newspaper. Now with the constant 24 news syndrome, they have to "fill the time" with something- ANYTHING!

I find myself reverting back to reruns on TBS or movie channels just to escape the dreaded "scroll".

Agitating at best- again, GREAT blog!

CJ England said...

CC,

I so totally agree. It's ridiculous. IMHO, I think reality shows have pretty much ruined entertainment. First of all, it's NOT real and secondly, I don't and never will care about how people interact when you force them into ugly situations. Stupid and fake.

Period.

CJ England said...

Terri,

Thanks so much for your kind words. I'm glad you liked the blog.

And I remember that too. Watching the evening news right after dinner. Just the facts, ma'am.

*sigh* Those were those days.

Phylis said...

Everyone is competing to get their stuff read. Some of it's cute and gives you a smile and other makes you shake your head and say "What?". I remember when there was only three channels. Now I have 100 plus and there still isn't anything on.

CJ England said...

Phylis,

Competition is everything. It's crazy to see how they are like rabid dogs.

Still mourning that Cronkite is gone. (sigh)

Jefferson Dane said...

Back in 1970 (syndicated from July through December 1970 and released Hardback back then) Robert A. Heinlein had a novel called **I Will Fear No Evil** in which he predicted such things as "cult of the personality news" as an everyday occurrence.

Heinlein seemed to predict all the way back then the Beiber, Kardashian, Snooki lowest common denominator news -- although, the National Enquirer existed back then and probably influenced him a great deal. His work also predicted the whole 24/7 news cycle of pure BS that we see today.

CJ England said...

Jefferson,

Wow...that's really interesting. I'd not been aware of that. I'll have to take a look and see what he has to say.

Thank you for sharing.