Monday, September 3, 2012

"Will You Marry Me?” He Said Weirdly

Hey all,

I got to thinking about this the other day when I saw a friend's video on how he proposed to his fiance.  I love a good marriage proposal.  I mean, when I see a guy do something really cool, like put an engagement ring in a fortune cookie or go down on bended knee, my heart does a little pitter-pat.

Now my friend and his lady are AVID Disney World fans, so he waited until they visited to pop the question.  In fact, he set it up so a photographer would be taking a picture just as he knelt and asked for her hand.  *sniff*  And knowing how much of a romantic she is, you know he picked just the right way to do it.

But his proposal was tame compared to some of what I've seen online.  Unique and often weird proposals and weddings are becoming more the rage.  Some are great...some you have to wonder just what they were thinking.  Take these few for example...


 Todd's friend, stunt man Eric Barkley has done many human-torch fire jumps. With his help Todd devised a plan to propose to his girlfriend Malissa. 

They set up a stunt to launch Todd off a platform above a swimming pool while being completely engulfed in flames.  Eric lit Todd's cape on fire and seconds later he became complete engulfed in gasoline induced flames. He ran off the platform and soared through the air against the night sky and landed in the pool, extinguishing himself from the fiery blaze.

Surfacing, he pulled off his hood, walked over to Malissa and got down on one knee. "Malissa, you make me hot. I'm on fire for you," said Todd. Malissa was laughing from the excitement and insanity of the whole display until Todd pulled out the ring and popped the question.

~*~

The man who hired a £10,000 theatre company to play his proposal
A lovestruck tycoon hired an entire theatre company so he could star in a play and give his girlfriend a proposal she'd never forget.

Gennady Zaleskiy, 38, paid £10,000 to have the play The Romantics staged, with him as the leading man. He then arranged for his theatre-fan girlfriend to have a seat at the show on a girls' night out with friends. He appeared on stage in a mask where he was supposed to declare his love for his leading lady. Instead, he turned to face his girlfriend in the audience and said: "No, the woman I love is called Victoria and she is in the sixth row. Will you marry me Victoria?"
 
Of course she said, YES!

~*~
Now, you can't have a fun blog about proposals without a couple of fails!

The picture says it all.  Would you marry a guy who pulled a ring out of your Who-Haw?

Classy!  I'll bet he drank a keg of beer to be able to do this whole sentence.  Just the kinda guy I want in my bed.

~*~
 Now, one last example.  A really romantic proposal...

In New York’s LaGuardia Airport Elaina Clark was waiting for her boyfriend Zachary McNeal to arrive from his plane which had just landed. As the crew and travelers each departed they one-by-one handed the unsuspecting woman a red rose. Much to her confusion, stranger after stranger approached her individually and parted with their gift of the flower. Unbeknown to her pilot McNeal had shown her picture to everyone on the flight and gave them each a single red rose to give to her in a romantic effort to win her hand in marriage.

Now that's creative thinking!


 ~*~ 

Jonathon asked me to marry me twice.  The first time was a simple, "Will you marry me?" while I was lying in his arms.  The second...well, let's just say he won the prize for taking me off guard.  You see, he asked me to renew our vows on the Carrick-a-Rede rope bridge in Northern Ireland.

Now, for those of you who don't know me, I'm terrified of bridges.  Hate 'em, hate 'em, hate 'em.  When we're in a car, I hold my breath until we're on the other side.  (And yes...I have passed out.) 

But when we're exploring, hiking or rambling, I've found I have two choices.
1) I wuss out and don't get to enjoy what might be on the other side, or...
2) I suck it up and don't let the fear stop me.

I usually choose option #2, with a lot of whining and complaining thrown in, just for fun.  :-)

As for Jonathon's proposal?  He'd crossed the bridge first and waited for me on the other side.  I was terrified.  The thing is a very narrow, swaying--yes, it had to be windy that day--bridge 75 feet over an icy Irish sea.  I was concentrating so hard on NOT dying, I didn't even understand what he was doing until he repeated his question.  I looked up, saw his beautiful smile and my ring in his hand, and all my fears just melted away.  I launched myself into his arms and kissed him to the cheers of the bridge guides and other tourists.

It was one of the most memorable moments of my life.

Am I still afraid of bridges?  Yes.  A bit.  But I'm not afraid of another 25 years with Jonathon.  In fact the way he proposed to me made me feel beautiful, strong AND courageous.  And, as anyone who has been married knows, courage, strength and of course, love is the only way to keep your balance.

No matter how scary the journey may look!

Until Wednesday...

Hugs,

CJ England
 http://www.cjengland.com/home/domeafavor100x154.jpg
Follow Your Dreams
http://cjengland.com

8 comments:

Phylis said...

Awwwww....Both yours and the airport are so sweet. Some of the others I could do without! lol I wonder how many times the guy practiced writing in the snow before he did it? lol

Ray said...

Some of these are really good. Yours especially. I kept wondering about the elaborate ones, what if she said no in front of the theater, after the airport flowers, etc.

CJ England said...

Phylis,

I wondered the same thing about the snowy proposal. Or did he have "help" from a few good friends? LOL

CJ England said...

Thanks, Ray. I can't imagine having your beloved say NO after staging such an event. Talk about humiliating and painful!!!

Unknown said...

Awwww, some of these are so sweet! Love yours. My honey did something sweet, but I still said maybe first, yes later. Nice post!

CJ England said...

Thanks, Naomi. It was a very special moment.

Janice Seagraves said...

I had heard about the air port and flowers one.

Yours was really sweet because it made you feel strong. Love reading all the proposals.

Janice~

CJ England said...

Thanks, Janice. I loved the airport and flowers one. So very romantic.