Thursday, August 22, 2013

Brasilia - A Pretty Cool City

Hey all,

I thought I'd give you a quick look at what I've discovered here in Brasilia.  Overall, the city is pretty cool, though there isn't a whole lot to do once you'd done the "tourist thing".  I've managed to keep busy and we have a few things more to do in the last couple weeks we're here, but I've spent more time working inside, then out and about.

Here's a few pics of things I've seen.  I hope you enjoy them!


The National Congress Buildings - Very interesting design

The JK Memorial Building - Everything is underground.


The National Museum - I am still wondering what the outside swirly ramp thing is for.


The following pics are from the Brasilia National Park.  We loved the time we spent there.

The Natural Spring made into a swimming pool.  Just one of several in the park. Water is so very clear.


 One of the park trails.  We saw marmosets and many kinds of birds on this trail.  This is the drier portion of the area.  Very scrubby.  A little way down the trail is a rainforest.  Right next to each other.  You take a single step and then you're in a different climate.

A family of coati!  Very much like a USA raccoon.

This beautiful bird we saw on the walking trail.  Awesome.  Anyone know what it is?  I've looked and can't find it online.  Help!!!!

Brasilia has many things to see and do, and I hope you've enjoyed this brief glimpse.  If the internet was better, I'd put up more pics, but I think you can see a little of what we've been able to visit while living here.  Have a great week!

Hugs,

CJ England









Follow Your Dreams
http://cjengland.com
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CJsaysFollowYourDreams

5 comments:

Ray said...

The scrubby trail followed by rain forest should tell us something about climate change. Cutting down the rain forest creates desertification.

The pictures are gorgeous. Could the swirly ramp be Brazil's version of Area 51. This week's Popular Science online magazine has a headline link to an article titled "The CIA kept Area 51 Secret because rumor is more fun than reality.

I wonder what swirly things went on in Niemeyer's head.

Phylis said...

Those are cool buildings CJ. The bird reminds me of grouse or pheasants. Thanks for sharing them with us. I enjoy seeing your pictures.

CJ England said...

Ray,

One of the museums I went to talk about how they changed the landscape here to make room for the city. It was so typical. Cut down the forest, build a city, then plant trees. *sigh*

And I agree, Niemeyer had lots of swirly things in his head. LOL

CJ England said...

Phlylis, I'm still looking for that dratted bird. So far, no luck. I may post it on a bird watching forum. Maybe they could identify it.

Ray said...

I recall reading about the destruction of the environment to build a new capital city, Brasilia when it was first being proposed. Even back then it seemed like a bad idea. The rain forest and the lifestyle of the indigenous forest dwellers can never be fully brought back. At that time people didn't think it was such a bad idea. I guess I'm a born skeptic.

I wonder if Mars had a rain forest and the Martians destroyed themselves in the name of progress.