Friday, June 13, 2014

My Best Friend is a Book

Hey all,

I'm a reader.  *snort*  As if you all didn't know.  I became a writer because I loved reading so much.  I love all kinds of books.  Mysteries, chic lit, sci fi, fantasy, thrillers, and of course, romance.  

Being an author I often get books sent to me from other writers, and sometimes I get freebies from my publishers.  And I've found quite a few outstanding authors that way.

Yet the best thing in the world is finding a series that makes me not want to put the books down no matter what else is going on in my life.  I call those "friend books" and when I discover those new friends, I will look for every single book from that author and read until I drop from exhaustion.

I came across a new author recently that falls into this group.  I'd actually had her books for some  time, but had stashed them away and sorta forgotten about them.  But I saw an ad for one online and it reminded me.  So I found the authors file and gave her a try.

Her name... Nalini Singh and she writes some of the best paranormal romances I've ever read.  She's got two main series to try and I really recommend you try them both.  In fact they are so good, I had to introduce you to her.

The first is the Guild Hunter Series, which is the first one I tried.  Here's a bit about it...

In this series, we meet the true rulers of the world: angels. But these are not the benevolent kindly angels we are used to; religion does not play a part in their evolution. These are beautiful, ruthless gods and goddess who rule with an absolute power not tempered by humanity or even goodwill.

The vampires in here are unusual as they are made, not born, from a special venom that angels must secrete to avoid going insane. Humans are tested; if found compatible, they are made into vampires. There is a price to pay for this immortality, though. The human must sign a contract of servitude to the angel making him, agreeing to serve for a specified amount of time.

Should that vampire decide to try and escape his contract, then a guild hunter is called in to hunt the vamp down. A guild hunter is a gifted human individual who can “scent” vampires. These humans are above normal in strength and stamina.

And when the angel in charge of North America falls for the best and meanest guild hunter on the planet, nothing will ever be the same again.  

I LOVED this series.  The first book is wonderful, filled with danger and excitement and passion.  If you like your men alpha, then you'll adore the angel Raphael.  And if you like kick-ass heroines, then Elena will fit the bill.  But it's the passion between the two that is so damn good.  Add beyond awesome world building, fantastic character development and dialog that will make you both chuckle and cry, then you have a book that is a total winner.  And each book in the series is just as good.  While many are about Raphael and Elena, they also have several other couples in their own books and each of them is just as awesome.


When I started the other series, the Psy-Changelings series, I couldn't believe they would be as good as the first one, but I was so happy to be wrong.  These books are just as good, and if you like shapeshifters, you'll flat out adore them.  A little about this series...

The series is set in a futuristic alternative Earth and populated by three groups: the Changelings, the Psy and humans. The changelings are shapeshifters. The Psy are humans with psychic powers who have been taught from birth to suppress their emotions.  And the humans are...normal humans.

The Psy is the largest and most powerful ruling body on Earth. The series tells of the struggles between the three groups and the struggles within each group. Each story features a different hero and heroine who meet and fall for each other.  The stories are filled with non-stop action, suspense and mystery, but nicely balanced with hot steamy romance and bouts of hilarious comedy. 

Since I love shifters and I write books about them as well as those with psychic gifts, these books are right up my alley.  I devoured them, one after the other and I wanted to have a tantrum when I ran out of books to read.  

Luckily, she's still writing both these series, so I can look forward to several more books in the future.

Curious now?  You can check out Nalini and her books at her website at http://www.nalinisingh.com/index.php .

Do you have a favorite author to share?  Or have you just discovered an author that you're going to add to your "Friend Books"?  Let us know in the comments below.

And happy reading!!!!

Hugs,

CJ England









Follow Your Dreams
http://cjengland.com/luckbealady/luckbealady.htm

 

4 comments:

Ray said...

My favorite is T.J. Macgregor. I have read every non fiction book she has ever written. I started with a book I found at a supermarket in 1986. Most of them are paranormal. She mentioned me in two of her non fiction books about synchronicity. Every time I read anything she has written I am so involved that I have to put the book down to remember that I am not a super character in her book.

Another favorite author is Isabel Allende. Her Uncle was the president of Chile who was assassinated by the CIA in order to put Pinochet in power in 1973 so the wealth of the copper mines would continue to go to the United States instead of the Chilean people. She writes about the history and customs of Chile. She was a journalist, but had to leave the country and wrote a book of fiction about just such a journalist. Chile is one of my favorite countries. Pinochet was in power when I was there. I would like to see what it is like now.

Phylis said...

Keri Arthur is one of my new favorites. The first story I ever read of hers is called Full Moon Rising. There are 9 books in the series which follows the life of a half werewolf, half vampire with attitude. lol I am working on her new series but have been a bit distracted lately.

CJ England said...

That sounds awesome, Ray. I can't wait to check it out. I'll let you know how I like Chili when I get there.

CJ England said...

I'm going to see if I have any of her books, Phylis. Thanks for the tip.