Tuesday, April 26, 2016

Bloody Hell!!! Is the World Ending???

Hey all,

When you’re overseas, you don’t get the news as quickly as when you’re back in the states. Here in Buenos Aires, our hotel has NO English channels, which isn’t the norm, but something we have to deal with every once in a while.

But when something happens, like a natural disaster, presidential election or special sports event—since I don’t surf the web for stuff like that—we often don’t hear about it for days afterwards.

Such is the case about the horrible flooding in Texas.  We had NO idea it was going on until I saw it on Facebook. What makes it worse is we have family in Texas, living near San Antonio.  So we were doubly worried. (Note: They are okay. No worries for any of them.)

Some of the pictures I’ve seen online were pretty amazing. That’s a great deal of water to come down out of the sky. Seems a lot like the flooding that we've seen down here in Sao Paulo, Brazil.  When you can’t see the tops of the cars, you begin to wonder if there is another Biblical flood in the making.  :-)

I have to say all these natural disasters are a bit worrisome. I don’t know whether it’s global warming, weird weather patterns caused by aliens from another planet (could be a good Syfy movie here) or just normal evolutionary change, but I just don’t remember this type of weather when I was a kid.

If it’s not flooding, it’s horrific earthquakes, mudslides, tornados or forest fires. There always seems to be something going on.

I have an acquaintance in Tennessee who dealt with forest fire this last week.  Scary stuff, that.  I’ve fought a fire nearby my house a couple times myself, so I know it can be terrifying. I’ve been in tornados, blizzards, and hurricanes as well, so I’ve done my share of natural disasters. Would prefer not to do any more.

Maybe I should do a series of romances involving natural disasters. After all, all my books take place in places I’ve visited or lived, so I might as well do a series on disasters I’ve been in, too!  LOL

What do you think about the odd weather and natural disasters that seem to be happening? Have you ever been in one yourself? If so, which kind?  Tell us all in the comments below. 

I’ll be back on Friday with some pictures and fun from around Buenos Aires. Until then, have a great week!!!


Until next time...

CJ England

3 comments:

Phylis said...

I have had to deal with tornadoes. Not just one at a time but 7 hit Grand Island, NE on June 3. The storm sat on top of the city for hours. 5 people lost their lives and sections of the city were devastated. One of the tornadoes came through my neighborhood. We were lucky it was a weaker one. It just took out trees and awnings. If you get a chance Google Grand Island tornadoes. There was even a book called Night of the Twisters and a tv special. 36 years ago. In fact the hill my husband and I have been walking up is called Tornado Hill because it is made of debris from the tornadoes.

Phylis said...

I have had to deal with tornadoes. Not just one at a time but 7 hit Grand Island, NE on June 3. The storm sat on top of the city for hours. 5 people lost their lives and sections of the city were devastated. One of the tornadoes came through my neighborhood. We were lucky it was a weaker one. It just took out trees and awnings. If you get a chance Google Grand Island tornadoes. There was even a book called Night of the Twisters and a tv special. 36 years ago. In fact the hill my husband and I have been walking up is called Tornado Hill because it is made of debris from the tornadoes.

Ray said...

Some of the earthquakes aren't of natural origin, but from fracking. Oklahoma state government denies it, but where I lived in Washington there is a canal that originates at Grand Coulee Dam and ends up not far from where I grew up. The canal would be filled in the spring and emptied in the fall. The first couple of years were the worst. There would be earth tremors from water filling places where there had been no water before the canal. In my parents home there is a crack in one of the plaster walls. Minor quakes for sure, but man made.