Saturday, January 16, 2010

Disaster and Relief - What's Happened to Common Sense?

Hey all,

Like everyone else I've watched the news coverage of the disaster in Haiti and mourned for those who lost their lives. I've wept when I saw the faces of those left behind--the parents whose precious children were killed, or children, barely able to walk who will never get a hug from their father again.

I've gazed in horror at the crumbled buildings, twisted roads and flattened trees and wondered if anything could ever be normal again.

It's so overwhelming--the destruction. Not only for those who were caught in the disaster but for others...the ones who want to help. Through the news we've watched as relief workers gather to bring aid into the beleaguered city, yet are turned away because of politics, not enough man power or a myriad of other reasons.

And that is what bothers me. I remember how long it took to get water to the Katrina survivors. How long it took to get aid to the waterlogged city of New Orleans. It's happening again. And it breaks my heart.

I understand the difficulty in putting together a rescue effort of this scale. All the details that need to be dealt with. But I have to believe that a plan is already set--all the ins and outs thought out and ready to go. So why does it take so long to help these people? Why can't we get past the ridiculous political posturing and do what needs to be done.

I've read reports about relief workers being turned away, hospitals not being allowed to set up their operations, all while people are dying all around them. Water not being given out but sitting in the airport. And that's insane.

Why? Why can't we just help? Why force airplanes filled with supplies and medical personnel to circle overhead or even worse head home without giving out those life saving necessities? Is it all political? Financial? I just don't understand.

It breaks my heart to see the natural disaster, but knowing that relief was there and unable to do anything destroys my soul.

For information on how you can help in the effort to help in Haiti, go to one of these sites.

RED CROSS

UNICEF

If you know of another site that you can trust and recommend, please let us know in the comments below. I'd love to hear what you all think of the situation overall!

I'll be back on Monday with another guest blogger!!!! Until then, have a great weekend.

5 comments:

Phylis said...

It makes absolutely no sense to me either. I know you have to plan, you have to have control to prevent riots and such but to have it sit on the runway and not be given out or to have personel not be able to help makes me wonder who is in control and what the heck are they thinking!

Peggy said...

Its sad and no wonder the people are getting violent. They need these supplies and know they are there ,they are dying and just fighting for life. I know we would do the same . What do they expect!
I hope the money that is being raised goes to the rebuild and help for the people ,not the gov.! The kids are so helpless,its so sad

CJ England said...

Phylis,

Exactly. I just want to shake them for letting it happen.

CJ

CJ England said...

Peggy,

Love the pic. LOL And I agree. You feel for them so much and you can't do anything. The money I send goes to organizations out of the country who bring aid in. It's the only thing I'd do.

CJ

Z said...

I know of another group, they are able to get supplies in because it's a church and 100% of dontions goes to humanitarian efforts everywhere, you don't hear about them because they don't jump up and down saying look at what I did. They get supplies in and go about there bussiness to get it to people who need it. It's The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Days Saints...that's right the Mormons. They were able to get supplies in without all the red tape because they have churches world wide, I don't remember which disaster it was I read about in a little articule but I remember that's the reason they were able to get stuff in without the problems of alot of the other agancy's and they are all volunteers from the top down.. no one is paid. The only cost I think is to ship it. I wish I could remember where I saw that article...sorry.
Zina