Friday, January 15, 2010

A Healthy Way to Tickle Your Ribs

Hey all,

Have you ever read how many calories are in a typical fast food hamburger? Not to mention all the unhealthy fat. It will blow your mind. No wonder an average teenager is so much more overweight than his 1950's contemporary.

We are a nation of immediate gratification and unfortunately that sometimes means we choose to eat unhealthy just so we can get what we want when we want. I know for myself that it is so much easier to grab a burger at Micky Ds than take the time to make a good meal.

A lot of what we do is just habit. Dropping by Taco Bell and grabbing a calorie filled burrito on the way to work is a lot quicker than taking the time to make a nutritious sandwich at home before you head out. You get in that habit and it takes a while to break it.

But I've discovered making new habits isn't as hard as it may seem. Once you begin to eat healthy, another world opens up to you. And you don't have to be hungry in the middle of this habit change. I've enjoyed all kinds of new meal experiences and love the adventure of trying a new and delicious dish.

Have I had a few oops? Oh yeah. I've tried something the dog wouldn't even touch and once I made a delicious dish and when I added it up calorie wise I realized that I might have well as had a Big Mac, large fries and chocolate shake! Oh well.

But there have been way more successes that oops. And I'm going to share one of the good ones with you. This is from a recipe taken from the Hungry Girl Website. For those of you who want to learn how to eat healthy, take a look around. It's got all kinds of great information. http://www.hungry-girl.com/index.php


Not-So-Porky-Pig


Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. And while we LOVE the taste of the original, Mickey D's McRib has too many calories and fat grams for its (and our!) own good. Here's the (vegetarian-friendly) answer...

Ingredients:
1 Morningstar Farms Hickory BBQ Riblet (found in the freezer aisle)
1 Arnold Select/Oroweat Sandwich Thins roll or Pepperidge Farm Deli Flats roll (or alternative below)
3 hamburger dill pickle chips
3 thin slices onion

Directions:
Prepare Riblet according to package directions. Meanwhile, split roll in half and lightly toast.

Stack Riblet, pickles, and onion on the bottom half of the roll. Finish it off with the top half. Now chew!

MAKES 1 SERVING
335 Calories


So check it out and see what you think. I don't do ribs very often, but oh boy when I do, I enjoy it!!! So will you!

Hugs and see ya tomorrow...

4 comments:

Maria said...

Sandwich looks really good and wow the calories are really low for something like that...will have to give it a try

Patty D said...

Not fair, I just splurged at Hardees!! :)

CJ England said...

Maria,

It is delicious. I was skeptical at first, but one taste makes you a believer!

CJ

CJ England said...

LOL Patty!

So sorry. I did a splurge at a Greek restaurant in St. Augustine. Everything is done in olive oil so it's hard to find anything low cal.

So you just don't worry about it! LOL

CJ