Friday, October 9, 2015

As The Saying Goes...Keep Austin Weird

Hey all,

This is my last week in Austin, and due to all my vehicle woes I haven't been able to see much.  So I'm trying to get as much squished into one week as I can.  Museums and parks and gardens. That was my goal.

And I did a pretty good job.  There are several museums here I was excited to go see, plus a special sculpture garden that was supposed to be outstanding.  And I have to say, there were enough oddities at these places to make Austin's motto, "Keep Austin Weird", right on track.

Check out the best of what I discovered in the capital city of Texas!

I first went to the capitol building.  A beautiful and interesting structure you shouldn't miss if you come to Austin.  And since it's open until 10pm most nights, there is plenty of time to enjoy the history.

 One of the best places I went to was the  Umlauf Sculpture Garden.  I adore this type of open air museum and try and visit them whenever I see one.  This one was quite lovely. Small and intimate, it was a joy to wander through.

As far as regular museums go, I visited several.  My favorite was the Texas Memorial Museum that is on the Texas University Campus.  It's got a little bit of everything, and I could have spent hours wandering through it. 

Another favorite was the Mexic-Arte Museum.  A little weird, a little thought provoking, it was an unexpected treat, and I highly recommend a visit!

And of course we didn't only do museums, one of the most unique and enjoyable thing we did was watch the bats fly off the Congress Avenue Bridge. They do it every evening and it was pretty amazing to watch the small cloud rise up into the sky.

With only one week left we had to make the most of eating out.  We loved both The Salt Lick and The County Line BBQ, as well as Curra's Grill and Scorchy's Tacos  for Tex-Mex.  We could spend hours eating our way through Texas.  We may have had enough car trouble for ten states, but driving around and eating... Totally worth it!
This picture is of The County Line.  Amazing food!  We felt like Fred and Wilma Flintstone. Look at the size of those ribs!!!!


As some of you may know, I'm off to Vancouver, British Columbia next. I'm very much looking forward to that beautiful city, and I can't wait to share it with all of you.  We leave here on Sunday, and we'll be on the road for ten days visiting family and making our way north.

So, I won't be around much, but I'll have the blogs up and going on Fridays and Tuesdays. I should be settled and back online the weekend of October 24th or so.

You all take care and enjoy your October.  It's a wonderful month and filled with spooky fun. I'll add to that fun when I can, so keep your eyes on my Facebook page.  I'll post when I have a chance.

Hugs to all,

CJ England










Follow Your Dreams
http://cjengland.com/wanderingstar/whathappensinmexico.htm

2 comments:

Ray said...

That is one large piece of BBQ.

CJ England said...

It lasted for two meals, Ray. And was soooo delicious!