Friday, June 10, 2016

Now We Can Talk About That Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day (Pt. 2)

Hey all,

I hope you enjoyed the first installment of our moving travails. You probably enjoyed it a lot more than my poor son.  LOL

When I last left you, we'd just discovered...

1.  The grade of the hill up to the house was too steep for a whimpy powered truck.
2.  The road to our house was way too narrow for a 26' truck (from this point on to be known as BAT--Big Ass Truck).
3.  Since it was the night before Memorial Day, we were out of luck on picking up anything to help us out of this mess.
4. My youngest son was about to go drown his sorrows in a gallon of moonshine!!!!!!


It didn't get any better.  Since it was a Sunday, his cousin, who'd come up from Atlanta to help him move, had to work the next day so he had to head BACK to the city. Without doing much of anything.  They were able to transfer some of the smaller stuff to Jeffrey's SUV and at least get Jasiah situated in the house...(which the condition of is a whole 'nother story).

So, it was about 11pm by the time they got all that done and grabbed something to eat.  Then Jeffrey headed home to Atlanta after what had to be the EASIEST moving he'd ever done.  Jasiah, with Home Depot's permission (gotta love 'em) was able to leave the BAT in their parking lot over the holiday.  Then he headed back to take possession of the home we'd just bought.

Now the whole time this is going on, we're on FB, frantically chatting back and forth trying to help. We couldn't do a whole lot, which frustrated us and didn't do much for him either.  We'd told him the condition of the house, but apparently, it was a bit worse than what we'd heard.

Being a foreclosure, it wasn't clean, there were scary, fanged spiders and bugs of every description had a few bugs, and had that icky musty stinky smell you get from a closed up house.  Add the fact that there'd been water damage when they first checked the pipes, and the house wasn't at all ready to be lived in.

But he persevered. He'd grabbed an air mattress from Walmart on his way back since the bed was still in the truck.  And had a fitful night sleep after a truly horrendous day.

The next day he cleaned.

And cleaned.

And cleaned.

And that was just the bathroom.

AND, in the midst of the cleaning, he discovered yet another leak.  At least this one was an easy fix, but he'd gone into town for--wait for it--even MORE cleaning supplies, and by the time he got back, the back bedroom downstairs were the leak was had been inundated with water.  *sigh*

I won't go into the craziness of whoever plumbed this house.  Suffice it to say, they didn't know what they were doing.  Pipes running along the outside of walls, through them, along the ceiling (exposed, mind you) and into the next room. Yeah...we'll be doing a total renovation of all that.

While Jasiah was doing all this nasty cleaning, his Dad, my sweet baboo, was frantically trying to arrange for a smaller truck and helpers (NOT easy to do on a holiday) for the next day.  We finally, after several hours of searching and texting, found a 12' truck and some moving help so he wouldn't have to do it alone.  Whew!

So, we had trucks, helpers and a plan.  Jasiah had the water fixed and enough of the house cleaned and debugged so he could at least sleep with BOTH eyes shut that night.  He was ready to end the craziness and start afresh the next day. Happy that the worst of the move was now over.

Or so he thought...

Have I mentioned the bear???

Check back on Tuesday for the last installment of this crazy-who'd-a-thunk-it story!

Until then...


CJ England


Phylis said...

Adventures in Hope it eventually settles down for you.

Phylis said...

Adventures in Hope it eventually settles down for you.